Here are some much needed fishing tips:
Aquaman Mozam’s Fishing Tips
These Tips are Specifically for Trout and Apply to all Fish:
- Use flies and artificial lures to reduce hook mortality.
- Use single, barbless hooks to maximize survival and minimize tissue damage.
- Subdue your fish as quickly as possible.
- Be ready to unhook fish with necessary tools before bringing the fish in your hand.
- When possible, slide your hand down the line and grab the hook and turn it upside down.
- Always wet your hands before handling fish to minimize loss of slime.
- Handle fish carefully! Don’t squeeze them! Cradle trout like an egg or baby bird. Always support the middle section with the palm of your hand.
- Don’t lay trout on the ground – this can damage their internal organs.
- Never touch the gills or eyes.
- Only use rubber or cotton nets, avoid nylon nets with knots.
- Use hooks that rust quickly, never use stainless steel hooks.
- Keep exposure to air at a minimum, less than a total of 20 seconds.
- If necessary, leave a hook that is deeply imbedded in the fish by cutting the line. Take pictures of the fish in the water
- Always hold fish horizontally, never vertically.
- Gently hold fish in the current and allow it time to resuscitate. An erect dorsal fin indicates the fish is recharged.
- Watch the fish as it swims away. If it falters, repeat the resuscitation process.